One of the best ways to eat pumpkin is to make this silky and spicy pumpkin soup. I have seen many pumpkin soup versions and here is mine. I also love to eat raw pumpkin, since it is very good for the digestion. But oven-baked pumpkin is just the best. Combine it sweet tasting carrot, spicy ginger and cream and you will have a great dinner!
serves 4 people
Preparation time: 45 minutes.
- 8 cups / 1 kg cubed pumpkin flesh
- 2 onions
- couple of cloves of garlic
- 1 inch / 3 cm piece of ginger
- 1 large carrot
- 3 - 4 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt + ½ tsp to add later
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 - 1 ½ cup / 250 - 370 ml water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- (3 - 4 Tbsp vegan cream) or make your own
- pumpkin seeds for garnishing
Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Peel the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut the pumpkin flesh into cubes. Peel and chop the onions, garlic, ginger and carrot. Put all the chopped vegetables into a deeper medium baking dish. Add oil, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 F / 200 C. Pour the baked vegetables into a pot. Add water, soy sauce, lemon juice and vegan cream if you want. Let it boil for a minute. Blend until smooth. Taste and add salt if needed. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.